Help train more physicians in africa
Africa carries 25% of the world’s disease burden, yet has only 1.5% of the world’s doctors. We in the UK often feel over-stretched with 280 doctors per 100,000 people. However, in Malawi there are just 2 per 100,000 and fewer in Tanzania....
To help train more local physicians the RCP is partnering with a group of leading local doctors to establish a much-needed Physicians College in east, central and southern Africa.
Who are you?
My name is Caitlin and I have decided to run the Paris Marathon because I have legs, I would also like to raise money for a cause which could really aid the development of the African countries it is working in. I strongly believe in the link between health and wealth: the healthier countries are, the wealthier they are. A strong healthcare system is vial to a countries long term sustainable development. I want to be part of a cause that supports and believes in this.
Here's your chance to capture your audience's attention! Tell us why you are joining Bod on his cycle!
- I am running the Paris marathon to support a great cause, and to have a good reason to eat Pain au Chocolats after!
- I believe good access to health is a fundamental right.
- It's not fair that not everyone enjoys basic healthcare and whilst this will not change overnight, any effort to provide healthcare to everyone in the globe is valuable.
According to the World Health Organisation it will take the region 200 years on the current trend to reach as few as 5 physicians per 100,000 people. Together, through this new college, we can double the number of physicians being trained locally by 2030.
Physicians for Africa will take training to the regions. If this fundraising appeal is successful we can support the opening of 12 new physician Training Units, in six countries where access to doctors is limited, often impossible.
All funds raised will go to support Physicians for Africa .
This is how your gift will make a difference:
- £27 provides a month's access to online resource and webinars for Trainees
- £100 provides training resources for each Trainee
- £270 covers enrollment and registration costs for each Trainee Physician
- £900 trains a new Faculty member
- £2,400 enables the accreditation of each new Training Unit.