Help train more physicians in africa
Africa carries 25% of the world’s disease burden, yet has only 1.5% of the world’s doctors. We in the UK often feel over-stretched with 280 doctors per 100,000 people. However, in Malawi there are just 2 per 100,000 and fewer in Tanzania....
To help train more local physicians the RCP is partnering with a group of leading local doctors to establish a much-needed Physicians College in east, central and southern Africa.
Over the next 16 months, RCP registrar Dr Andrew 'Bod' Goddard will be cycling a 2,018 mile journey around England and Wales, visiting as many acute NHS trusts as possible. The ride will be raising money for Physicians for Africa, a flagship project of the RCP which seeks to improve access to well-trained physicians in east, central and southern Africa.
According to the World Health Organisation it will take the region 200 years on the current trend to reach as few as 5 physicians per 100,000 people. Together, through this new college, we can double the number of physicians being trained locally by 2030.
Physicians for Africa will take training to the regions. If this fundraising appeal is successful we can support the opening of 12 new physician Training Units, in six countries where access to doctors is limited, often impossible.
All funds raised will go to support Physicians for Africa .
This is how your gift will make a difference:
- £27 provides a month's access to online resource and webinars for Trainees
- £100 provides training resources for each Trainee
- £270 covers enrolment and registration costs for each Trainee Physician
- £900 trains a new Faculty member
- £2,400 enables the accreditation of each new Training Unit.
All riders are encouraged to join Bod on his journey! If you are interested in setting up your own page to promote your ride and raise money for Physicians for Africa please contact firstname.lastname@example.org .
Follow Bod's journey
Bod will be detailing his journey on a blog, and highlights will be posted here. Follow Bod on twitter at @bodgoddard .
- Would your family, friends or colleagues be interested in sponsoring Physicians for Africa? Contact email@example.com to become involved as an Ambassador for the project and we will send you information that you can send out.
- This project is looking for match funding! If you would like to match fund, in whatever way possible, please get in touch at firstname.lastname@example.org . You could sponsor per mile, per stop, per donor - it's up to you!
FIND OUT MORE ABOUT ABOUT the RCP's involvement IN east, central and southern AFRICA
Click here .